Thursday, December 25, 2014

20141226: Singles Play

So I played and lost a set with Suri today and wanted to share the learning from today's defeat

1. My first serve consistency keeps dropping as the games become longer
2. Similarly my first serve percentage decreases profoundly after the second service game. Maybe this is a hint about improving fitness or maybe it's the technique fallout issue when I start to get tired
3. On a positive front, I can decrease the speed of my first serve and use that as my second serve as well
4. I don't attack the ball that often. I'm usually content playing lobs and peddling the ball back. I need to be more assertive with my play and start chasing the baselines.
5. Also need to improve my net play. I need to pick up the balls where I can rush to the net. Also I need to stop just inside the serve line when I'm rushing across
6. I'm struggling with first serve from the backhand side.
7. Missing punch even when I'm taking the racket back on the backhand.

I'll think more about these things and how to improve in these areas before I go for weekend play. Also I'll start early over the weekend - Will reach the court around 6:30 and play till at least 9:30. Will also take the new racket for a spin when I'm concentrating on baseline play.


The coach mentioned something very interesting today. He said that you play the ball and not any specific player. This is a wonderful advice since it cuts through both complacency - when playing lower seeded players and nervousness - when playing higher seeded players. I'll surely take each ball on merit.

Another thing I need to work at is to be chase each and every ball. From now onwards I just refuse to give easy points - either at my serve or the opponent's serve. This is the fundamental mentality I'm going with on each point, on each game, on each set. Basically my tennis belief for life - NO EASY POINTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment